In all honesty, I don't see the effect of the RDA records being worse than
the massive numbers of duplicate and/or nonstandard records being loaded
into OCLC already.  Isn't it pretty much just more of the same?

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.
Northwestern University Library
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL  60208-2300
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: (847) 491-2939
fax:   (847) 491-4345

On
> [...]
test
> system. That being the case, they are being used by library cataloging
> units populated by staffs with varying levels of cataloging knowledge and
> ability.
>
> In our library, for example, because of the volume of books passing
> through, there is a copy cataloging unit that processes ELvl blank/I/4
> records without checking or altering them, assuming that all information
is
> correct. They would not be able to tell that a name has been used that is
> not authorized. Even librarians in our organization, since we are not an
> RDA test site, are not aware of all differences between RDA and AACR2, so
> we cannot simply "be aware of [RDA] and take whatever steps [we] need to
> accommodate it" as Mr. Randall suggests.
>
> I do not believe that using existing name authorities is somehow
> undermining RDA, or making "hybrid records", as another person suggested.
> In AACR2 we frequently use name forms that are in the authority file that
> are not as we would have created. But we respect the integrity of name
> authorities, and their vital importance in library recall. Recall is, I
> believe, the point of cataloging, and what should always be considered of
> primary importance, instead of quibbles about which rule sets are
followed.

> Deborah Tomaras, NACO Coordinator
> Librarian II
> Western European Languages Team
> New York Public Library
> Library Services Center
> 31-11 Thomson Ave.
> Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
> (917) 229-9561
>

>   From:       wsiemaszkiewicz/MHT/Nypl
>
>   To:         Deborah Tomaras/MHT/Nypl@NYPL
>
>   Date:       10/29/2010 11:55 AM
>
>   Subject:    Fw: Using existing NARs
>

> ----- Forwarded by wsiemaszkiewicz/MHT/Nypl on 10/29/2010 11:54 AM -----
>

>          Re: Using existing NARs
>

>          Kevin M. Randall
>                          to:
>                            PCCLIST
>
> 10
>
> /2
>
> 9/
>
> 20
>
> 10
>
> 11
>
> :4
>
> 7
>
> AM
>

>          Sent by:
>                Program for Cooperative Cataloging
>         Please respond to Program for Cooperative Cataloging
>

> While I understand Deborah Tomaras' concerns, I absolutely disagree with
> her
> suggestions to use already-established AACR2 forms of name in RDA records
> for the test.  While on the one hand the test does "undermine authority
> control", not to use RDA forms of name in an RDA record would, on the
other
> hand, completely undermine the test.  How are we to test the results of
RDA
> if the set of records aren't fully RDA?
>
> Personally, I feel that the likely outcome next spring will be that RDA
> *will* be implemented.  It's not that I think the test is a sham, but just
> that all of the factors involved will make it pretty much inevitable.  The
> value in the RDA test will be in finding out how well the guidelines work,
> how well the new records play with others, what options are better than
> others, and just overall what would be the best way to implement RDA.
(And