From: "Aschmann, Althea" <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]

Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:18:29 -0400

Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Theses name hdgs. -- birthdates?

Virginia Tech no longer requires candidates to submit vitae with
their dissertations and thesis, therefore this information would often be
hard
to come by for recent graduates. We do not routinely add birth dates unless
needed to break a conflict and then we used the search methods you mention,
plus emailing the author if we can. Sometimes when attempting to break a
conflict, we are unable to obtain this information and are forced to create
a “name
b”, (undifferentiated heading).

Althea Aschmann

Head of Cataloging,

University Libraries

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University