From: "Aschmann, Althea" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:18:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Theses name hdgs. -- birthdates?

Virginia Tech no longer requires candidates to submit vitae with their dissertations and thesis, therefore this information would often be hard to come by for recent graduates. We do not routinely add birth dates unless needed to break a conflict and then we used the search methods you mention, plus emailing the author if we can. Sometimes when attempting to break a conflict, we are unable to obtain this information and are forced to create a “name b”, (undifferentiated heading).

Althea Aschmann
Head of Cataloging,
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University