Hi Folks:

1) Dates work just fine.  Any other alternative would also have its
disadvantages many of which would be unforeseen. I say the devil we know
is better than the one we do not.

2)  The data are typically taken from very, very public sources (e.g.,
the back covers of books, c.v.'s posted on-line, and so on). These
things are not closely guarded secrets.

My two cents.

Bob