Hi Robert:

   When our theses were all paper issues (a few still are issued in paper),
we followed the same procedures as with books, that is, formulate the name
of the author not previously established according to the information
available in the work being cataloged and/or already in the OCLC bib.
file, except when additional information is required to break conflicts.
Thesis authors would be established as "preliminary" and reviewed if and
when they "published."

  All our theses are now submitted digitally and provided with Dublin core
records.  When such records are eventually "cross-walked" to MARC and
entered in OCLC, the issue of authority control will be readdressed.

> --Are there issues you confront from authors if they see this
> information in FirstSearch, public catalog &/or the Web?� How do you
> handle such issues?

  Extremely rarely.  In such cases, the authors' wishes would be respected
to the extent that they can be accommodated within the parameters of the
cataloging rules.

Cheers!

jgm
                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             CDS, UL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside
the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.