Thanks for the info, Richard. I know that titles, etc. that appear with the name can be used. The person who wrote in the original question stated that he plans to use other words or phrases that I would not agree with (like institution where active, apparently). For the most part I wanted to point out that undifferentiated records are not anathema, since I often see people saying they can’t tolerate them. I don’t know much about RDA yet, but think there are some changes. I think, for instance, that instead of using   , |c Captain  (a title that might appear with the name and could be used at present), a function term such as (Naval officer) would be used. Or instead of …, |c Ph. D.  something like (Physicist) and apparently they are in parentheses. I did not see subfield c used, so am not sure if those terms will be in subfield c. Somehow music catalogers got an exception to the current rules, and freely use  , |c flutist, for example. That comes in handy in many cases.

Jack

Jack Hall

Manager of Cataloging Services

Linguistics Librarian