I am sorry to disagree with Robert, but a concern about “other
English-speaking nations” is certainly overstated. As far as I am aware,
those countries (Great Britain, Australia come to mind) do follow AACR2
rules and contribute to NAF according to those rules. The bottom line is
that we do use AACR2 in North America and if we add Great Britain,
Australia and other countries that is a big chunk of the world that follows
AACR2. Now comes IFLA with their gibberish RDA language and revision or
rather abolition of all the rules in order to satisfy requirements of [who
is that?] and we are supposed to discard decades of knowledge and practice
in order to satisfy [who is that?]?

If I look at the OCLC and its bibliographical database that basically
dissolved its master record policy into
load-here-whatever-you-like-as-long-it-is-called-a-record than I can see
how incomprehensible the OCLC has become. I can understand where the RDA is
coming from.

However, should we become a part of this gibberish world? I hope not.

Wojciech Siemaszkiewicz
New York Public Library
Library Services Center
31-11 Thompson Ave.
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101
(917) 229-9603
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

         Re: Fw: Using existing NARs

         Robert Maxwell
                        to:
                          PCCLIST
                                                              10/29/2010 01:32 PM

         Sent by:
        Please respond to Program for Cooperative Cataloging

I hardly think saying RDA guidelines and policies have been followed when
creating access points in RDA bib records constitutes "quibbles about which
rule sets are followed." RDA is being implemented by the other
English-speaking nations, I understand, so their records will be in the
file, and yes, they do contribute to NACO. Should they be required to keep
using AACR2 headings in their RDA records? It seems very likely that RDA
will be implemented here in the U.S., though that decision has not been
made yet. Assuming we do officially implement I hope nobody will be
"quibbling" that we should keep on using AACR2 forms on RDA records.

We don't insist that we continue using pre-AACR2 forms on established NARs
in the LC/NACO authority file when creating AACR2 bib records. Instead, we
revise the pre-AACR2 form in the existing authority record to become AACR2.
Why should we not do the same-i.e., use RDA forms, not AACR2 forms-when we
move into a new code?

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568