From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 12:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Fw: Using existing NARs

I'm not really arguing that we should keep on using AACR2 forms, I'm arguing that we should keep on using LCNAF forms, and manage the transition of headings to RDA in the LCNAF. Otherwise, aren't we requiring that new RDA authorities be created for all the names already established in AACR2 whenever one of those names turns up in RDA cataloging?  In my estimation that would be a much more burdensome requirement to place on PCC/NACO institution, and lead to a much more confusing and uncertain environment for non-PCC/NACO libraries, than it would be to allow the option (not requirement) of considering established AACR2 name headings compatible with RDA bib record.

And really, I'm not seeing the heading form as being that determinative in the future. I'd like to see LCCNs or OCLC ARNs or some kind of identifier as being the basis for a link to both the AACR2 and the RDA form of a heading. Managing the headings transition with one set of LCNAF-based identifiers rather than a more complicated set of linked identifiers tying an AACR2 authority to a parallel RDA authority seems more complicated, and less forward looking if what we're really hoping for is a managed transition and not the creation of two parallel cataloging environments.

Stephen