From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gary Oliver
Sent: 06 October 2010 03:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Theses name hdgs.(headings) -- birthdates?

Mr. Hall and others

As an aside, I wonder if the old prescription to use a full, formal name in TDs and ETDs is loosening?

My institution's policy is full legal name.

I am amazed at the number of institutions that create authority records for authors of theses or dissertations.  Just last week I made a duplicate authority record for a speaker at an annual lectureship series at my institution because his preferred usage was radically different from the required full legal name required by the degree granting institution.  I never imagined that an authority record would have been made for an author whose only work was a thesis or dissertation.

I made an appointment with the assistant to the graduate dean to ask if a blank could be put on the library reproduction permission form that asks for the preferred name.  The assistant completely understood the problem because the name by witch everyone knows her is a nickname.  She thought it was a good a idea.  So beginning with the next round of theses and dissertations, I will be making authority records for our graduates, based on their preferred usage.

I appreciate hearing all this from all of you.

Gary Oliver
Abilene Christian University

Help us celebrate National Customer Service Week 4 - 10 October.
National Customer Service Week is designed to raise the awareness of customer service and the vital role it plays within any organisation. It is also an opportunity to say a big thank you to all our customers for their support.
We are having an Open Day at our site in Yorkshire on Tuesday 5th October. If you are interested in seeing 'behind the scenes' of one of the largest and most technologically advanced library repositories in the world, follow an order from receipt to delivery and meet the Customer Service team, please contact us at [log in to unmask]

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The British Library’s new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2009/10 : www.bl.uk/knowledge

 Think before you print