Good points, Gary. Here at UH we do not try to have authority records for all our thesis authors; we would like to  have authority records for them, if we see that there are alternate names requiring cross references, or are aware of conflicts, but we do not do the authority work even for those names in all cases.

My impression is that the authorized form in an authority record is based on usage (the form found in actual bibliographic items). For most theses, that is the form found on the thesis, often the only work ever “published” by the author. So that is the authorized form to use. If we learn that the author has a “preferred” form that is different, a cross reference can be made from that to the authorized form, but will not be the authorized form until other works are published with that form, at which point the authority record can be changed.

We are moving (slowly) to EDTs. I hope that required information about the author, including a birth date, will be included, but do not know if that will be the case.

Jack Hall

Manager of Cataloging Services

Linguistics Librarian

University of Houston Libraries