-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of john g marr
Sent: 06 October 2010 19:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Theses name hdgs.(headings) -- birthdates?

On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Moore, Richard wrote:

> I wonder if we should make it standard NACO practice to add a 667 note

> to an authority established from the legal form of name in a thesis:
> "Change heading if form on later published works differs". This would
> alert a future cataloguer, who might otherwise be nervous.

  As I previously suggested, there is already a provision for coding
such records as "preliminary", which should have the same effect (if
catalogers understand why such records are so coded).  Perhaps simpler
to suggest that this coding approach for names based upon theses be made
explicit and standard NACO practice?

Cheers!

jgm
                                             John G. Marr
                                             Cataloger
                                             CDS, UL
                                             Univ. of New Mexico
                                             Albuquerque, NM 87131

     **There are only 2 kinds of thinking: "out of the box" and "outside
the box."

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but
sharing is permitted.

Help us celebrate National Customer Service Week 4 - 10 October.
National Customer Service Week is designed to raise the awareness of customer service and the vital role it plays within any organisation. It is also an opportunity to say a big thank you to all our customers for their support.
We are having an Open Day at our site in Yorkshire on Tuesday 5th October. If you are interested in seeing 'behind the scenes' of one of the largest and most technologically advanced library repositories in the world, follow an order from receipt to delivery and meet the Customer Service team, please contact us at mailto:[log in to unmask]

Experience the British Library online at http://www.bl.uk/

The British Library’s new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2009/10 : http://www.bl.uk/knowledge

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the mailto:[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

 Think before you print