The provider-neutral model only applies to the cataloging of online material.  You have items reproduced on discs, so LCRI 1.11A still applies, and you would describe the original items (i.e., original place, publisher, date in 260 and the original physical description in 300) and then add field 533 to describe the DVD reproduction.

Robert Bremer

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Early
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 2:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: BSR approach to a print original on a DVD-ROM

I have a situation which is rare for me, so I am asking advice of the experienced:

I have born-print monographs (originals published 1886-1915) on microfilm and also on DVD-R (“burned” in-house).

The microfilm cataloging is easy: 260 for print data and 533 for filmer.

But what do I do with the DVD records? Is there a 533 for CD’s or DVD’s? Or, using the BSR PN model, should I treat these in the same way as I would if they were on the web (i.e “remote access”)? 260 for print data (my preference) and 300 “On 1 DVD-R with other items”? Something like that?

So far I haven’t successfully found any relevant examples in Catalogers Desktop, OCLC, or at the PCC websites that exactly fit my situation.

If anyone can provide advice or point me to some OCLC examples (USA practice preferred), I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Stephen T. Early

Cataloger

Center for Research Libraries