From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of D. Brooking
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Completion of the work of PCC SCS Non-Latin Script Cataloging Documentation TF

I was on this task force. I can give you my impressions (but others may
have different takes on it).

We had difficulty dealing with parallel non-Latin fields for headings in
bib records. Some members of the task force felt that non-Latin data for
headings should reside only as references in authority records rather than
as parallel fields in bibs.

However, as I understood it, revising NACO policy was not part of our
charge. As part of our report we did recommend that the PCC address the
issue of non-Latin references in authority records sooner rather than
later. But I can't answer Hugh's question about who is going to do that or
when.

One other note: one reason for the many options for bib headings was
concern about efficiency. For example, if you have a macro that turns
transliterated text into non-Latin script, why go back and have to retype
(or copy-and-paste) a qualifier into Latin?

I can see where the pressures for efficiency would be greater in bib
record creation. Removing non-Latin headings from the bib assembly line
and putting the work into authority records (do it once and hopefully
systems can provide the access from there) might overcome some obstacles
to agreement.

Diana Brooking             (206) 685-0389
Cataloging Librarian       (206) 685-8782 fax
Suzzallo Library           [log in to unmask]
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA  98195-2900