Following the example Mike proposes--I have a book on raising angora goats published in Spain by author Juan Gomez, and I see an authority record for "Gomez, Juan" with the title "Aerodynamics of paper airplane design" in a 670. A second look up tells me the 670 book is published in the US. The question is, are these the same person? While it's true that I can't definitively say they are different people without knowing some unique fact for both of them, e.g., that they have different birth dates, I can nevertheless use cataloger's judgment, which tells me that it's highly likely that these are two people. My contention is that our accuracy rate for correctly distinguishing people with common names would be significantly better if we had rules in place that enabled us to make and apply such judgments, rather than bundling persons we are virtually certain are different people onto undifferentiated authorities. In practice, it's rare to see anyone left on an undifferentiated authority when a date is discovered for the person. By Mike's reasoning, if I found the plane designer and the goat raiser sharing an undifferentiated authority and then found a date for the goat raiser, I could do nothing--I still wouldn't have definitive proof that they're different people. But in practice, such date discoveries regularly account for the creation of a new, unique authority, as the PERSNAME-L list attests. We do use judgment in these cases when the rules allow us to. Separating heading strings from differentiation would enable us to apply such judgment in all cases.

The advantage of moving to identifiers for managing the uniqueness of entities is that they provide a stronger basis for assembling linked data. For example, if OCLC modified its use of "controlled heading" links to enable an auxiliary display of bib data linked to a given authority, I could see more information about the plane designer noted above with my first look-up. The authority record could reach out and find a set of titles positively identified as being by my author by another cataloger. That would make my searching easier.

There are lots of ways this could work and could look, and ways it would still be vulnerable to careless data entry; but on the whole, I think we'd be better off.

Stephen