From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Daniel CannCasciato
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 11:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Theses name headings and privacy concerns

Hi All,

Richard wrote: " Of all the names occuring in the authority file, how many of these persons have been the object of identity theft BECAUSE OF the information that someone found in the authority file?"

I don't think anyone has proposed that it has happened, or that it's a high probability, only that it's got some potential. Should we keep that in mind when creating records? There's possibly an issue of institutional liability as well if something were to happen that harmed our students. I'm thinking here along the lines of a legal responsibility to respond when someone says they've witnessed or encountered sexism, harassment, racism, etc. Is making personal information from vitae locally or internationally accessible, as an institutional policy, okay at this point? Or should we counsel our students about risk and perhaps change our practices a little. They can do what they want on Facebook, that's not our domain.

" The criminal element (not that I so familiar with them individually, of course) has been know to
target the dead as well. Does that mean that we should go back and remove information on Mark Twain, too? ...
However, think of the SSDI ... All of these "marks" are dead and can't come back to complain."

I thought the dead could not be victims of crime (slander, libel, etc.). It's our student's and our liability that I think make this an issue worthy of discussion, if not a change in practice as well.

Daniel

Daniel CannCasciato
Head of Cataloging
Central Washington University Brooks Library