From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, October 31, 2010 6:19:35 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Panasonic discontinues Technics analog turntables

I have heard some of the same things about wait times at pressing plants. This
from people waiting in the queue to get records pressed. I've also been told
it's similar in Europe and Japan right now. There is much new vinyl being
released and the reissue market sees new reissues every month. Almost all of it
is premium-priced and should be manufactured to a high quality level (some
current pressing plants do much better than others, but most of the stuff coming
out of the others is retail priced more like $10-15 a record as opposed to
$25-30 out of the good plants).

Anyway, I wouldn't consider myself a vinyl fanatic -- I still think a properly
mastered CD will sound closer to the master source recording than any grooved
disk -- but since so many CD's are so badly mastered, it's nice to see a niche
market where care and craft trump cheap and fast. Keep in mind, though, as has
been confirmed to me in numerous specific cases, most modern-issue (as oppose to
reissue) LPs are mastered off a DIGITAL source (indeed most of the recordings
are ALL DIGITAL from the mic preamp output to the mixed master), so it's a myth
that the product is anything close to "all analog."

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "H D Goldman" <[log in to unmask]>