From Corey Bailey:
".., I was able to detect a slight difference between a gold-layered CD-R
and a silver layered one. The gold-layered CD-R sounded a bit harsher in the
mid range to me than the silver layered samples. .."

Before we get all mystical, it should be pointed out that on a lot of CD
players the master crystal that clocks everything is located on the same
chip that controls  the motor. Any change in the amount of current being
drawn such as how off-balance the disk is will change the temperature of
that chip, and with it the  speed of the master crystal.

Any time we hear a very subtle change in sound but don't know what caused
it, we'll generally read all manner of symptoms into it.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.562.4346 http://www.bobolhsson.com http://audiomastery.com