From Jerry Hartke:
"...Long ago, differences from listening tests were surprisingly traced to
subtle differences such as disc unbalance, tangential variation of
reflectance, and radial tracking (push-pull). "

This is more specific information than I had learned about previously.  As I
posted before, according to a Philips engineer these factors can change the
temperature of the crystal that the DAC is locked to in many common CD
player designs. He said with some players even the silkscreen design and
color can change the playback speed.

As far as I know error correction has no audible effect and the disk's
construction is only a factor to the degree it also happens to affect the
above mechanical factors.

Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.562.4346 http://www.bobolhsson.com http://audiomastery.com