In 2002 I was given the task of archiving some
, 15ips music masters for a client who was very
specific about the delivery requirements and even
the CD burner to be used. The burner had to be
either a certain model Plextor or an early model
Phillips (a 2X burner). The CD media for playback
had to be Taiyo Yuden brand cyanine (green) dye
CD-Rs. The archival media for the flattened
files was to be Kodak gold. All of this came from
the debate at the time that cyanine, although the
least stable was the best sounding of the three
available dyes and that gold-layered CDs were, in fact, the worst sounding.

This prompted me to perform my own listening
tests and indeed, I was able to detect a slight
difference between a gold-layered CD-R and a
silver layered one. The gold-layered CD-R sounded
a bit harsher in the mid range to me than the
silver layered samples. I tried product with all
three dye types but the audible difference to me
seemed to be the reflective layer more than the
dye type. I had three other professional
engineers listen to the sample discs and two
reported the same results while the third
professed to not hearing a difference.

About six months later, I tried the same test
with a different genre of music that had also
been sourced from 15ips masters and noticed the same result.

Since then I offer silver layered CDs for the
clients playing copies with the disclaimer that
they are not considered archival quality.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering