Thanks to all that replied to my original post. I
found the observations both interesting an informative.

When I wrote the first reply, I summarized the
results of my listening tests because my
observations were really anecdotal. I found it
interesting at the time that two out of three
other listeners (trained engineers) observed the
same results and ended my query there.. I should
note that my original observations were not
mentioned until we compared results. The other
listeners were only asked to listen to the same
song on four different disks, each representing
the three dyes and the one gold disk, the same disks that I had listened to.

I have compiled some of the replies and answered
them in hopes of shedding some light on the questions:

Tom Fine wrote:
I also have heard similar things to what Corey
heard in a gold MAM vs. a blue-dye T-Y, played
back in a mid-90's vintage Philips CD player.
Played back via my Tascam CD recorder, I couldn't
hear any difference. I am guessing that older CD
players have trouble reading the gold-backed CDs
and thus either more error correction is going on
or for some reason jitter is being induced, or
some other digital-realm thing is going on.

Greg Schmitz wrote:
I can't help but wonder if Corey's observations
might be tied to the ability of his playback
device to correctly read all of the data from
"Gold" CDs?  Could it be that the playback device
is compensating for data it can't retrieve and
thus dropping or reinterpreting part of the spectrum using it's own software?

For my own listening tests at the time I played
the CD-Rs on three different devices: The
original burner (A 2X Phillips) a Panasonic DVD
player and a mid 80s ADC CD player. The same
pair of headphones was used for listening. The
ADC sounded the most strident of the three
players I tried but that seems to be a character
trait of that player which Ive always attributed
to the DACs (and possibly error correction
circuitry) of that era. As far as the other three
listeners are concerned, I dont know what
equipment they used for playback. Nonetheless, as
Tom and Greg suggest, we could have been hearing
the difference in error correction.
-CB

Jerry Hartke wrote:
BTW, how many "gold media" brands did you try?
Did they all have gold metal or just gold paint over silver metal?

The gold CDs for that (and the latter)
experiment were Kodak, the only brand tried.
-CB

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering