On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Edward C. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:36:41 -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote
> \
>> I notice that the current EDTF draft lists seasons (Spring, Summer,
>> etc.) as "features that have been mentioned during development of
>> this specification but have not been included." Why is this the case?
>>
>> The use case is periodical issues that often have cover dates such as
>> "Summer, 2000" or "Spring/Summer, 1999".
>>
>> Bruce
>
> The official start of Summer in Australia is December 1st and ends at the end
> of Feb or early March. They use a meteorological definition. In the United
> States, by contrast, Summer spans from the Summer Solstice to Fall Equinox
> (20/21 June to 22/23 September). In Ireland Summer starts 1 May--- 1 month
> before the meteorological start.
>
> The sentence "Summer, 2000" is thus not well defined. One would need to say
> "Where".

There are other ways to indicate the "where" though (like the
publication location).

I know it's not that precise, but it's better than a dumb localized
string. And while I'd be open to adding some additional complexity to
indicate the "where" in the date, it's just not important to me.

Maybe we could imagine alternately something like "2000-41+au", where
the "+au" bit is an optional locale?

Bruce