Just playing around with things....

Thinking more.. do we perhaps want to toss the whole u model and instead introduce a direct system of
specifying precision.

We already have implicit precisions:
1985 <- implicit year precision
1985-12 <- implicit month precision
1985-12-12 <- implicit day precision
1985-12-12T12 <- implicit hour precision
1985-12-12T12:12 <- impliciut min. precision
1985-W3  <- implicit week precision

How would we express "20th century"? That's century precision.
[In u format:  NNuu where N is 0-9, e.g. 19uu  ]

Just for the sake of discussion lets call this Pn.

P1 would mean 1-unit precision. A year
P1(1955) would be 1955--- 1955 as date is implicitly in year precision.

P100(1985) -> 100 year precision of 1985 -> 20 the century

P100(1985) = P100(1910) etc.

P10 (1955) -> 10 year precision of 1955 -> The 1950s.
[In u format:   195u]

We can apply this to months and even days

1955-12- P10(1)  would be 1-9 in Dec. 1955 with 10-day precision.
[What in u format as 1955-12-0u]

This format tosses out things like  1uu9 (see previous mail) but now includes some more interesting cases where we have
Pn where n is not limited (as in the u case) to  1,10,100 etc. but can be any natural number.

Recall that we also have week dates... YYYY-Www-D

1955-WP4(23)-2

This is a precision of 4 weeks--- contrast to month-- but also a specification that its Mondays.

1955-WP54(1)-2 would say the event took place on Monday in 1955.

1955-WP26(1)-2 would say the event took place on Monday in the first half of  1955.

Here there is no talk anymore about "unknown" but directly precision.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:02:09 +0000, Simon Grant wrote

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB
Office Leo (R&D):