Interesting ideas here, however, well, I'm all in favour of explicitness and
clarity.

So how about having a core spec which dispenses with precision in favour of
explicit ranges, and clarifies the mapping between existing implicit
precision expressions and their explicit ranges?

1985 = [1985-01-01 ... 1985-12-31] or something like that?
(etc. etc.)
We don't need any completely new expression method (particularly not one
that is less familiar to people than the perhaps already unfamiliar formats
introduced anyway...)

Simon