On 11/16/2010 01:56 PM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> The sentence "Summer, 2000" is thus not well defined. One would need to say
>> "Where".
>
> There are other ways to indicate the "where" though (like the
> publication location).
>
> I know it's not that precise, but it's better than a dumb localized
> string. And while I'd be open to adding some additional complexity to
> indicate the "where" in the date, it's just not important to me.
>
> Maybe we could imagine alternately something like "2000-41+au", where
> the "+au" bit is an optional locale?

For the given use case of a periodical that has a "Summer, 2000" issue
the precise definition really doesn't matter - almost certainly the
publisher does not have a precise definition in mind.

What might matter is whether the "Winter, 2000" issue is the *last*
issue of 2000 (i.e. following after "Autumn, 2000") or the *first* issue
of 2000 (in turn followed by "Spring, 2000").  The latter seems to be
more common - I can't recall an example of the former.

This of course applies to the Northern hemisphere.  In the Southern
hemisphere the ambiguity would presumably apply to "Summer, 2000".
--
	--Per Bothner
[log in to unmask]   http://per.bothner.com/