Hi,

In the current draft "The character 'u', used to mean "unknown",
replaces a single character and signifies that the value of that
character is unknown." Is this based on an ad-hoc decision or on
practical use cases? I have never seen anyone using the character 'u' to
mark unknown parts of a date. But I regularly see the use of character
'x' or 'X' for this purpose. So hereby I propose to change the character
'u' to 'x'. In doubt, take a random set of people from the street and
ask them which variant looks more familiar to denote a date that is not
exactely known:

199u
1999-uu
199901uu
156u-12-25

or

199x
1999-xx
199901xx
156x-12-25

Wikipedia already uses this notation, which should be argument enough,
for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=19xx&redirect=no

Another argument is the cultural depence of 'u' for 'unknown', which is
bound to English language. In contrast 'x' for 'crossed out' is also
known by many non-English speakers.

The change does not influence other parts of the specification, so it
should be no big issue.

Cheers,
Jakob

--