> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce D'Arcus
> So I need a way to describe the cover date for a periodical issue in
> ways facilitate two things:
>
> 1. sorting a bibliography reliably by date (vis-avis other entries that
> may have a month date)

Bruce, I suppose I'm still confused about the requirement.  I take it that you have periodicals of two distinct periodicities: monthly and seasonal.  Sorting by month isn't a problem since there already is a sortable month format, e.g. '2000-12'.  And if we allowed '2000-21' as a seasonal expression then you could sort on that.  However it seems (from above) like you want to sort bibliographies where some members are monthly and others are seasonal.  That's not going to sort with this scheme.

--Ray