On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:19:55 -0500, Ray Denenberg wrote
>> I just want to be sure I'm clear: When you sort months and seasons
>> together, you are ok with a scheme where ALL seasons sort AFTER all months?
>
> No. That's absolutely intolerable! We're sorting dates and not numbers! That's
> would be equivalent to sorting 2000  before 1923-23-10.

Come on; that's not at all "equivalent." And given eccentricities of
bibliographic styles, I can absolutely imagine there are different
rules for sorting seasons vis-a-vis month-days.

But ...

> Its all about precision:
> 2000 is not before or after 2000-10
> 2000-10 is not before or after 2000-10-12
> 2000-24 would, similarly, not be before or after 2000-10-12.
> 2000-24 would also not be before or after 2000-10-11

Yes, but in a bibliography, you can mix those dates (an author with
three cited items: a book with a year, and two journal articles: one
of them with a month cover date, and the other with a season cover
date), and you need to sort them. So saying something is "not before
or after" isn't practical.

If not a structured date component, the other alternative is what a
format like RIS does: treat season and other similar as unstructured
date components.

Right.

Bruce