On 25 November 2010 14:11, Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Simon Grant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 25 November 2010 13:25, Jakob Voss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> On 25.11.2010 13:16, Simon Grant wrote:
>>
>>>    3. A combination (set) of values. This could be different from a
>>>    range, for instance if {2000-12,2000} is the set of the month
>>>    December 2000 and the year 2000, which is not the same as the year
>>> 2000.
>>>
>>> Maybe that's OK, but I don't yet understand the practical application of
>>> a set of date/time values. Perhaps it would be clearer (to me at least)
>>> to have some concrete examples?
>>
>> For instance if a book has been published several times, it's publication
>> date is a set of dates.
>
> How do you square this with FRBR?

I was wondering the same.

> I wouldn't take seriously any proposed single entity with a publication set
> of dates.
> Doesn't this mean that the entity covers a set of other things each with
> their own publication date?

I'd say so.

Thanks! :-)

In which case, we have still not found a practical example of an entity which, in its own right, has a set of dates as an attribute. (Or something like that in different terms.) I see only examples, like this one, where it is more helpful to represent a set of *entities*, each with just one date, or just one interval. And, surely, if we are to have a good specification, we should go with the simpler, more helpful representation as a basis?

Simon
--
Simon Grant
+44 7710031657