Hi,

I just stumbled upon the following reference: Three month ago a PhD
thesis was just finished at the Berkeley school of information:

Ryan Shaw. Events and Periods as Concepts for Organizing Historical
Knowledge. Ph.D. dissertation. Advisor: Michael Buckland. University of
California, Berkeley. 2010.

I have not had a look at it, but anyway - this philosophical discussions
are interesting and important to highlight implicit assumptions and
problems. But if we want to find practical solutions, we definitely need
a kind of central issue/bug-tracking system, a formal grammar, and a
reference implementation. I started to hack something in Haskell
(https://github.com/nichtich/extdatetime), but sure there are easier
tools, that you are more familiar with.

A simple wiki or collective google docs document would also help,
but just a discussion list will not lead to a final standard.

Jakob

P.S: The only BNF grammar of ISO 8601, that I found so far is
http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/archive1/msg00512.html

--
Jakob Vo▀ <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 G÷ttingen, Germany