Thanks, Ray.

To elaborate a little, what got me thinking about this was the proposed use of the doubled "//" which presumably (I haven't checked) is not specified by ISO 8601. Thus, as it looks to me, the proposal to have intervals beginning and/or ending with intervals (good idea, by the way, as a way of representing earliest/latest starting/ending time) *already* breaks ISO 8601.

Thus my suggestion would be to have a number of dots as an alternative to ISO's "/", and NOT to use "//" at all, which would allow keeping the ISO 8601 single "/" for the middle of interval-bounded intervals in cases where an alternate formulation (e.g. a number of dots) was used for the terminal interval. (Sorry if this is a little difficult to follow: I hope not too much so.)

Simon

On 8 November 2010 15:05, Denenberg, Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Discussion of the Developing Date/Time Standards [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Grant
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DATETIME] Extended Date/Time Format DRAFT specification for review through December 6

"2. the interval signs, "/" and "//"
Perhaps others would join with me in regretting that ISO ever chose "/" for interval, as it conflicts with common usage as in today 6/11/10 or 11/6/10 depending on which side of the Atlantic you are. Apologies if this has been discussed to death already, but using a number of dots is common usage for a range. One possible convention that I can imagine is to have any sequence of more than one (say two) "." indicating an interval, and if an interval between intervals is needed, as with "//", one could have say 4 dots for the major break. But maybe others have better ideas about how many dots to use."

Well I join you  in regretting that ISO chose "/".   However, If we were to adopt a sequence of dots, or for that matter any convention other than "/", it would mean abandoning the premise of this work, that any feature prescribed, if it is a feature supported by ISO 8601,  will be prescribed in a manner compatible with ISO 8601.   My position on that is that there would need to be overwhelming sentiment to do that.

In any case, this is open to discussion.

--Ray

--
Simon Grant
+44 7710031657