> From: Discussion of the Developing Date/Time Standards
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce D'Arcus

> > approximate
> > It means just that, "approximate".
>
> I don't understand the last one. Can we spell it out more fully?

Well, as I have suggested, we can have qualified or unqualified "approximate".

So for example
    2006-04~
would be unqualified approximate.

So I take your question to be what does that mean. I suggest the following definition:
"An estimate which is asserted to be possibly correct, and if not, close to correct."

I believe that the use case for approximate is satisfied by this definition, but for those who are not satisfied I have offered the extension mechanism that I mentioned so that the estimate may be qualified by precision.

--Ray