One challenge is that the issue of cross-mapping different calendars is not of interest only to us, so maybe it is not for us to settle either?

Meanwhile, I don't see the force of an objection that dates alone do not reliably convert. Naturally, one person's day may start at a different time to another person's. Isn't what matters whether there was a community that once agreed on a calendar convention? Given that, it might be possible in principle, though often not in practice, to cross map to other calendars in some way, though not necessarily agreeing on day or year boundaries. At least the proposed spec offers the means of representing the uncertainty that results...

Simon

On 8 November 2010 16:54, ashtongj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
If a provision is added to specify the Julian calendar, it will be necessary to distinguish the Julian calendar as observed in Rome since 45 BC versus the Julian calendar as extrapolated backward from the middle ages. They did not agree until around AD 8.

Gerry Ashton

On 2010-11-08 11:46 AM, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
The names are, I think, the least problem--- we can just define a controlled
vocabulary.
The biggest problem is that calendars such as the Jewish/Hebrew don't have
reversible transformations into Gregorian or Julian unless time and day of the
week are also specified--- from which one could determine if its before
sundown at the place (and, in fact, the same location may have two different
representations for two different people as there are sometimes multiple
customs that might be called upon to define sundown).
Keeping to the Jewish/Hebrew calendar (and the Babylonian and other Lunisolar
calendars as well) we also can't resolve completely against our min/sec model.
The Jewish hour is divided into 1080 units: 72 units per degree celestial
rotation or 360 * 72/ 24. Going back to Hebrew/Jewish now from a transformed
date, however, won't work since the Julian/Gergorian day ends at Midnight and
there is no way to determine the date. Its roughly based upon the stars
viewable from the location--- with good visibility--
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=1166&letter=S
and so these is insufficient information in a date/time to go back.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:06:48 -0500, Denenberg, Ray wrote