It's a good argument, but has it been tested. Has anyone tried to store
a back coated tape without it's back coating to see the difference? If I
remember correctly (where is Rich Hess when you need him) the SSS was
first discovered in ampex 400 series, but it was the new binder they
used. I don't see how that is affected by the back coating, and why
doesn't it affect all back coated tapes. I have many different tapes
with back coating, some of them almost 30 years old by now that play
like the day I bought them. Maxell XLI, BASF pem468,  BASF dpr26, emtec
911 (not 30 years old). To put the blame on the back coating just
because if is from the same era. It should have sown up in all back
coated tapes. What am I missing?
Shai