I think the reason why you haven't heard a thing about 176 is because
(as far as I know) it has never given anyone any trouble. I transferred
many of these tapes for the Israeli broadcasting Authority and all
played like new. Believe it or else, they used them during the 70's as
master tapes for everything, including classical and pop music. The
recordings were made on Ampex 351 and 440 recorders and some of them are
fantastic. Never had a problem.
Shai