On 12/23/2010 2:35 AM, Dan Nelson wrote:
> Ive got a bunch of 3M instrumentation 1/2 and 1 inch tape reslit to 1/4 inch
> that is doing the same thing ...... nice clear  mylar  base  lol I sure hope all
> that NASA data recorded on that stuff is  backed up.
> so the binder must  be  from same formula across the board for various end uses
> of  3M tape during that time period.

Not only does NASA not have it data backed up, it doesn't even have the
machines necessary to play a lot of it back.  While the information
might be historical, it is all obsolete and of little use to current and
future work.  There was a presentation at the Early Television Museum
conference 2 years ago about the unsuccessful search for the original
data recording that would have the Apollo 11 moon walk video.  A single
Polaroid picture taken of the video monitor on the converter in the
Australian receiving station shows how much more detail would be on that
tape if it could be found because the converted pictures had degraded so
much during the multiple relays from Australia.  As the search began
about 5 years ago it was noted that the only machine that could play
back that tape was about to be dismantled and destroyed!  They were able
to save it just in case that tape could ever be found.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]