My family also had the first TV set in our Bronx apartment house, a
DuMont Chatham, known to collectors as the "Doghouse" for its slant
sides.  I still have it.  Since we were in NYC we eventually had the
maximum allotment of VHF stations possible for a market, seven
(2,4,5,7,9,11 &13) and I remember when the final couple of of them came
on the air.

When we moved to New Jersey, most of the towns had phone exchanges based
on the name of the town, and we were TEaneck 6.  A few years ago we did
a little investigation that was aided by these lettered phone exchanges.
 Bill O'Reilly had been touting he "peasant" upbringing by claiming to
have been brought up in Leavittown.  Al Frankin had disclosed that Billo
had actually been brought up in more upscale Westbury but needed proof.
We found it for him in the microfilms of the phone books.  In a couple
of books the address of his father actually said Westbury, and when the
exchanges were modified around 1953, his became WEstbury, and the houses
actually in Levittown became LEvittown.  If he knew his phone number as
a kid, it now became laughable that he couldn't "remember" what town he
grew up in, and Al's ridicule caused O'Reilly to finally change his bio.
(We visited his neighborhood to double check, and it ain't Levittown.)

And as for the ringing tones sounding all the same unless you travel
overseas, this really messed me up the afternoon I arrived in Austria
for the first time.  The ringing tone is three ascending tones, just
like the ones in the U.S. that indicate you have reached a non-working
number!  To make it more confusing, I kept on loosing coins because the
number I was using included the extra one or two digits for the specific
extension and it was considered a connected call even if that extension
didn't answer.  When I stopped using those extra numbers the main
switchboard answered.  At that point I would have preferred
international uniformity!!!

Mike Biel  ex-TEaneck 6 -2341  [log in to unmask]