On 12/23/2010 1:34 PM, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
> The Georgian calendar defines it clearly (as 01-00) and the
> Astronomical year number systems define it also clearly (as 00-99).

The Gregorian calender is defined by the papal bull "Inter Gravissimas"
and by the accompanying explanatory publication. An unofficial version
with English and French translations may be found at
http://www.bluewaterarts.com/calendar/NewInterGravissimas.htm

You will notice that while the bull uses the year numbering system,
which was devised by Dionysius Exiguus, it does not define that system.
Perhaps the accompanying explanatory documents do define the year
numbering system, but since I don't read Latin, I am unable to say. So
far as I can tell, not enough surviving documents from the author remain
for us to discern the author's intent; the Roman Catholic Church
declined to clarify the matter when the Gregorian calendar was
introduced, and no authority today has the clout to settle the matter. I
would say the matter is unanswerable for the foreseeable future.

Gerry