On the issue of "century" then, would it be reasonable to strike the word "century" from the spec altogether?

Or alternatively, include a note to the effect that "This spec does not define century because there does not seem to be any internationally agreed-upon definition."

And further, that:

" '19' means the period covering the years 1901 through 1999.  And this is intended to be consistent with ISO 8601, although it is not clear from that standard precisely what '19' is intended to mean".

This, of course, would mean that none of the stakeholders in this process has the need for "century" support, to any degree that cannot be satisfied by the above.

--Ray