This has been a great and helpful discussion.  I have been struggling with
similar issues recently and am looking forward to trying the options given by
several of you on the list.  As for namespaces, my understanding is  XSLT v1.0
cannot handle two default namespaces.  Our EAD XML has a default namespace and
the resulting HTML document we're building also has a default namespace, hence
the conflict.  Prefixing the EAD namespace in the XSL eliminates one of the
default namespaces at the expense of having to prefix every EAD element in your
XSL.

In XSLT 2.0, you can use xpath-default-namespace to designate the EAD default
namespace, obviating the need to go through prefixing everything. ( I have not
tried this yet but hope to before the Spring semester starts).  See the article
"The Perils of Default Namespaces" http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/36

Also, if you google default namespace xml confusion you'll find many articles,
some of which are pretty good, like this one
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc302166.aspx  It's heartening to know
also, we are not the only ones struggling with this.

Again, great discussion and much appreciated.

Thanks,
Maury