--- On Sun, 1/23/11, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It's interesting how quickly this technology evolved from a
> portable dictation format at first to a viable (if not great
> sounding) music-distribution format in a few short years.

1968?  Wow.  The first time I saw a cassette player in a
car was in Germany in 1976.  I didn't see cassettes start
to make inroads on the 8-Track until at least 1977.  And
mass-produced cassettes sounded worse than 8-Tracks until
Dolby gained currency in, when?  - I guess around 1978.

It's interesting that these pages say up front that
they are sponsored by Philips/Norelco.  Maybe they were
seeing things as rosy for the cassette a little earlier
than an objective reporter would have.