It's part of a 80,000+ tape archive and might have even more tape to
bake. My oven can hold about 100 tapes a batch, maybe more (never had
that many to bake). I was trying to see how to streamline the operation
but it seems that there are no corners to cut. Most of these tapes play
well but shed a lot of white stuff and tests have shown that a little
baking cures the problem. Each box holds 25 tapes so I will have to
figure out a system where the tapes from 4 boxes go in for 8 hours
(should be enough). Lots of work I agree. Some of it spoken word, later
also music.
Thanks :-)
Shai

On 1/9/2011 5:10 PM, Richard L. Hess wrote:
> Shai,
>
> I agree with Mark and Tom. I had 114 reels in a recent project--and
> the client was doing the transfers, I was only doing the baking. I had
> to bake these for 48+ hours, so I gave them 32 tapes a week from the
> baking process. With the exception of one reel of 3M tape, which they
> returned and I baked for three normal batches...cutting down by one
> the number of reels in the normal batches.
>
> I used two food dehydrators with 8 trays each. These were 1/2" tapes
> on metal 10.5" reels.
>
> It seems as if you have your work cut out for you with that many tapes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>
> On 2011-01-09 9:14 AM, Mark Donahue wrote:
>> Sha,
>> The real question here is: why would you bake the tapes prior to
>> transfer?
>> There is virtually no benefit to baking tapes that will sit back in an
>> archive,as they will gradually return bake to their pre-baking
>> sticky condition. If the reels are all pancakes, then we just flip
>> them onto
>> a flange to bake.
>> Our workflow in this regard is to bake in small batches, just enough to
>> transfer in the next day or two. That way the tapes have reached
>> their most
>> stable state for the transfer.
>> If you have 15,000 sticky tapes to transfer, how long is the project
>> going
>> to take? If you haven't already done it, you should get a couple of
>> decent
>> sized process ovens, which will allow you to bake 50 or 60 tapes at a
>> time
>> and be able to monitor the temperature over long periods.
>> All the best,
>> Mark Donahue
>> Soundmirror, Inc.
>> Boston MA
>>
>> 2011/1/9 Shai Drori<[log in to unmask]>
>>
>>> Has anyone tried to bake tapes in the boxes? I usually bake them
>>> outside
>>> the boxes but now I have about 15,000 tapes to bake and taking them
>>> out of
>>> the boxes and putting  them back in will be time consuming and could
>>> make
>>> for a switch between boxes and tapes. What do you think?