Hi David:

I hear what you're saying, but I've often been disappointed by amateurish "garage" bands. There have
been some gems over the years, and indeed Rhino, Sundazed and others have made an honest living
mining the vaults. Having been raised with a lot of classical and jazz music, I expect a decent
level of musicianship from rock and blues artists. Many fall short, but when that exciting music is
combined with excellent musicianship, even on "simple" music like was played by Buddy Holly and
Elvis Presely, it's a beautiful thing. Even back in my youth, I was often disappointed by how poorly
my favorite rock bands performed in a live setting. But, there were some wonderful surprises. When
tickets cost a couple dozen dollars max, it was OK to go and check many out and wait for the few
surprises. At hundreds of dollars, forget it. As for small-venue live music, there is none out here
in the 'burbs, just really amateurish cover bands here and there. Also, the loudness level that rock
and blues are typically performed precludes me going anywhere near these live venues without heavy
ear protection. I can't afford to lose any hearing by my own doing, time and nature are doing it to
me beyond my control.

One other thing, with the collapse of the record business, playing arenas actually IS a
pre-requisite to the kind of success that was the norm in previous times. And it's expected of any
band being given any upfront money by what's left of the "major companies" in a "360 deal".

I'm really happy that finally some critics called the hand of these dinosaurs on the mailed-in
performances and high ticket prices. I saw the Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson minor-league ballpark
tour a few years ago and they were both mailing it in back then. At least you could understand what
Willie was singing, and even though it was basically the same show he had been doing for 20 years,
he still did it well. Dylan was unintelligable and the band behind him was sloppy and inept. And it
was so loud that it was ear-damaging even with protective foam in. We left soon after he started
"performing." Hint to aging rockers -- when you need to "fill out" your band with people younger
than your children in order to produce enough noise to hold attention in a stadium, it's time to
retire. I would argue that the typical trappings of a rock performance get ridiculous when you get
into your 40's and are outright embarassing when you're eligable for Medicare. It's a young man's
game, know the rules and play by them.

-- Tom Fine