On 1/26/2011 2:06 PM, Roger Kulp wrote:
> By tombstones I assume you mean the Lp covers.

NO!  If you noticed, I was talking about 78s, and in the industry the
term tombstone goes back to the Royal Blue albums which had the titles
in a vertical silver sticker that had an arch top like an old fashioned
tombstone.  Then came the gray Columbia covers with a horizontal
rectangle much like a more modern tombstone.  The term does not require
the column design of the first classical Lps because it is also applied
to the popular covers which used a music stand graphic.  The term
applies to any cover series that is uniformly plain with just the
titling info in a provided space.  These are also called generic covers,
but generic also applies to standardized company sleeves for singles
which do not have identification of the specific record like a tombstone
cover does.

> What has always intrigued me,was the way Columbia kept changing the covers of their Masterworks Lps,in the years before stereo,but kept the same catalogue numbers,and back covers.There are a couple of Bruno Walter records,that I have with three and four different US covers.Others where there is a tombstone,a cover with the large "Lp" symbol,and artwork.They weren't always content to keep the same photo,once they switched from the artwork to a photo cover either.  Roger

Why do you confine it to Masterworks?  You find examples of this in all
their series, including popular and childrens.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]