Tom Fine wrote:

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/double-mortgage-anyone-125000-lot-hits-o
ur-market-watch-countdown

> why would those Philips LPs of David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin go for
> so much? Was that a freak eBay sale? That material was reissued as a
> nicely-packaged good-sounding CD set. The original sound quality
> wasn't knock your socks off, although it was typical Philips high
> quality. The performances remain highly rated by some critics. But,
> if a CD set is available, why are the original LPs worth thousands of
> dollars? Could this have been a Philips completist buyer who got in a
> bidding war?
>
> -- Tom Fine

If it's a early 60's(?)Dutch pressed "HIFI STEREO" purple label disc, then
they do have a cachet among collectors, though I've never seen the prices
that high. Mostly in the $50 to $100 range per disc. Perhaps the set
packaging was rare in those pressings?  Were these originally recorded by
the Mercury team for Philips like the Richter/Liszt Piano concerti disc?
Those seem to have more value because of who did the recording, than the
performance it self.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine