From: "Karl Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/10/2011 11:14 AM, Karl Miller wrote:
> > If you read the article below you will not that Universal will retain
> > copyright ownership to their recordings.
> > Karl
> That is the same deal that the NBC collection is under.
> Same as most of the unique recordings held at LOC and other
> institutions...yet as we approach copyrights in perpetuity, the rationale
> for spending taxpayer money for this sort of activity seems questionable
> to me, especially when there will not be reasonable access and even more
> so when the copyright owner has stated upfront that they plan to use the
> digitized recordings for their own profit.
> Will LOC get a cut of the profit from the sale of the recordings they have
> digitized?
>
> For me, there are substantive ethical questions on both sides of the
> argument, but it seems to me that there is room for questioning the use of
> public funds for this purpose.

Keep in mind that this is a "moot point" in the US, where ALL sound
recordings are
"protected" (and thus unavailable for legal reissue?!) until 1/1/2067!
However, here
in Canada (and in much of the world) the copyright term for sound recordings
is
FIFTY years (thus 1960 recordings can be reissued!). This means that after
12/31/2011 I can legally reissue ALL my 78's...!

Steven C. Barr