John -- apology accepted, especially since I am a fan of Chance!

On 1/12/2011 6:17 PM, Scott wrote:
> I have often wondered if modern technology might recover some of the lost
> audio....    Scott

You're not the only one, and I think they had another look at the tapes
a couple of years ago, but the "Rose Mary Woods Stretch" was a bit too
efficient.  By the way, that famous photo had an amusing use on the
cover of the August 1989 Schwann CD catalog under the headline "EXTRA!
DATs DELETED!!!"  They had decided to give up on the viability of the
pre-recorded DAT and CD-3 formats, and the editor said in removing the
listings this position was no less awkward than was Ms. Woods'.  The
also printed a 1971 letter she had written them on White House
stationery giving Nixon's thanks for a copy of the catalog.

Of added interest they next included a commentary "Vanishing Vinyl (...
or the short run prospects of the long-playing record)".  With insider
evidence, they accuse the industry of market manipulation by deleting
popular LP series that were selling well and instituting disadvantageous
non-return policies for retailers.  "Although the CD revolution has been
-- to some extent -- consumer-driven, the LP decline has been, to a
degree, industry manipulated."  They pledged to continue listing LPs and
cassettes in their quarterly Schwann guide.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]