There are many examples of this especially with private press jazz and soul lps. The only answer I have for these is that the masters are long gone and the reissue was taken from commercial vinyl. This cannot be the case with the PHILLIPS catalog. Mysteries never cease.

Sent via DROID. My combination blender toaster hair dryer alarm clock door stop moustache trimmer and fascist killer

-----Original message-----
From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, Jan 27, 2011 18:34:12 GMT+00:00
Subject: [ARSCLIST] curious as to why the high value?

http://www.goldminemag.com/features/double-mortgage-anyone-125000-lot-hits-our-market-watch-countdown

why would those Philips LPs of David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin go for so much? Was that a freak eBay sale? That material was reissued as a nicely-packaged good-sounding CD set. The original sound quality wasn't knock your socks off, although it was typical Philips high quality. The performances remain highly rated by some critics. But, if a CD set is available, why are the original LPs worth thousands of dollars? Could this have been a Philips completist buyer who got in a bidding war?

-- Tom Fine �