Baltimore is enjoying a resurgence in local rock and house music which is IMHO is fed by our local public radio rock station WTMD (available online - reports music news several times a day), a local R&B station and the numerous little clubs popping up in our arts and entertainment special tax districts.  Baltimore House music also benefitted from being feature on HBO's The Wire. And we have a symphony orchestra and probably the largest number of classical guitarists outside Spain.  Baltimore is an amazing music town.

Since Bob Dylan was already horrible by my late 70's teen years, I can't beleive anyone pays a $5 cover to hear him. The WSJ wasted a lot of ink on him.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Don Cox
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 2:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] RIP rock n roll

On 04/01/2011, Tom Fine wrote:
> Hi Dave:
>
> Sorry to disagree, but saying small-city club rocking means that a
> rock music business is "alive" is like saying just because a bunch of
> semi-literate loudmouths use free blog sites for no wages while
> newspapers die off means print journalism is "alive." There's a big
> difference between the big leagues and everything else. Using Bob O's
> analogy, the "farm system" died out and thus the big leagues
> eventually ran out of "players." It's happening in almost all aspects
> of Western culture, a sure sign of a rotted-out society collapsing
> upon itself. Sad to watch because it wasn't always this way in my
> lifetime.

In the case of both rock and jazz, it is a case of the genre running through its life cycle. Young people are not in general very interested in those old styles now.

Nor do they listen much to waltzes and polkas.

Obviously there is a minority who do take an interest in older music, just as there are some young listeners to classical music. These tend to be those with a more serious interest in music as such.

Those who just want a good night out are going for DJs and the many dance styles, rap, etc etc.

Regards
--
Don Cox