Thanks Richard and Jerry,

      I have used that EQ translation table (from Choosing &
Using...) in the past for transferring at 3.75 ips when I only had a
7.5 ips NAB Cal. tape.   Indeed, from 250-1000 cycles, the NAB curve
is rather flat.   However, the Cal tape's 2x speed (as compared to
the target reel,) requires an EQ fudge factor of about -3 dB at 60
cycles, and -1.5 dB, at 120 cps.   1000 cycles at 2x (500, for the 1x
target) would be "dead nuts" (=0 dB), but, by 4k cps, there is the
need to reduce (again) by 0.6 dB (where using the 7.5 ips tape for a
3.75 ips recording's playback).

      Would it follow that, if a tape had apparently been recorded at
an amazing 1.5x speed (i.e., 5.6 ips based on a fast-played 3.75 ips
NAB Cal tape (presumably) at time of recording), those 7.5 ips-
to-3.75 ips amplitude offsets would need be halved from where they
are with the 2x (i.e., 7.5 ips) Cal tape, since at 1x, there is to be
no offset from standard EQ, and 1.5 is half-way between 1 and 2?   If
so, then for a hypothetical  1.25x-speed "3.75 ips"  NAB tape (i.e.,
one actually recorded at 4.7 ips), those amplitudes should be offset
by -0.25 times the 2x (i.e, 7.5 ips) Cal tape's fudge factor...?
Then, for a 1.1x speed "3.75 ips" NAB tape (i.e., actually recorded
at 4.1 ips) (again, for sake of discussion), the EQ should be tweaked by
-0.1 times the 2x fudge factor, or -0.3 dB.)

      Fast forward to the ATR Service(s) VS-20.    This vari-speed
oscillator can drive the ATR-100 with digital re-set-ability at any
1/100% step above the nominal clock speed, up to +200.00 %.   It can
also, as you may well know, slow down the same machine to -50.00 %
nominal clock.    So, one could play a 3.75 ips tape from the 7.5 ips
setting on the machine, by setting the vari-speed to -50.00%.   He'd
be wrong, however, not to alter the de-emphasis accordingly.
Clearly, by then, one may need to use Mr. McKnight's generous cheat-
sheet so as not to labor under a mistake.

      Perhaps, what you want me to "take away" from this topic of
discourse is that pitch accuracy is far more significant to sound
recording than amplitude accuracy, in terms of what is detectable to
the ear when one vari-speeds for truer pitch on an otherwise properly
Cal'd reproducer.

      Still, when someone has recorded a tape on a machine that was
running too fast or too slow, by some margin less than +200.00% or -
50.00% of a standard (as in EQ) speed, I wonder if there is the
possibility of untwisting the mis-applied pre-emphasis by de-
emphasizing at the original (erroneous) record speed - or if, barring
serendipity, what we get back by vari-speeding a non-standard
recording, is the right frequencies but always at the wrong
amplitude, if only by a small amount, since we have strayed, however
minimally, from the speed-based curve.
      Put simply, does vari-speed repro's effect on de-emphasis add
any noise (loss of signal) that wasn't there in the first place,
provided one had a way of dialing in the exact speed to make the
reproducer play back at the (actual) speed of the recorder?   Does it
really de-emphasize that which was to however small a degree, not pre-
emphasized at the standard speed?  Or does it possibly further twist
the phase and alter the amplitude?   I suppose that the boon of pitch
correction would outweigh those concerns in almost any application in
which one would invoke a vari-speed.  (:      But the mastering
engineer's dictum is "First, do no harm."   So, is it a minor side-
effect, or actually part of the cure with no inherent insult?

Cheers,
      Andrew