I'm not so sure that I would go lending a record like that out.

Roger

--- On Sat, 1/29/11, Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Test tones circa 1978
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 7:22 AM

If it's the early tape duplicator who was out on Long Island, then they went
out pretty early.  And suddenly.

It was run by Julius Koennens, I think, or Koenig- don't remember exactly.
He was a Holocaust survivor.  German, I think, rather than Austrian.  They
did duplication for Urania, possibly Livingston, etc.  I visited them a
couple of times, probably in the very early 1960s. I don't recall his
set-up.   If duping at high speed, it was a low multiple. I remember hearing
some A-B tests.  You still knew which was the sub-master and which the copy,
but not by much.

Julie borrowed my unpublished 78 test of Seefried's version of Schubert's
"Das Lied im Gruenen," a spectacularly beautiful record, and was out of
business before he could return it.  I never knew what became of him or my
record.

The less intimate one by Schwarzkopf was the one EMI issued.  The decision
was made by Schwarzkopf's husband, Walter Legge, no doubt.

Steve Smolian